Carolyn’s Online Magazine (COMe)
PA. REP. BENNINGHOFF TO INTRODUCE
A NEW 2015 BILL CONCERNING
OPEN RECORDS FOR ADULT ADOPTEES
On January 11, 2015, I received the following e-mail from Carolyn Hoard, a member of the Legislation Committee of the American Adoption Congress:
- Pennsylvania Rep. Benninghoff is planning to introduce a new access to OBC (original birth certificate) bill within the next few weeks. He has reserved HB 162 as the bill number, the same number we had in the last session…
- Rep. Benninghoff will be circulating a co-sponsor memo to the House and Senate members shortly. He would like to have as many co-sponsors as possible when the bill is introduced. To achieve that, he has asked that we each contact our legislators and ask that they sign on to HB 162 as a co-sponsor…If you have a new Representative or Senator, please email me and I will send you the appropriate language for new members explaining the purpose of our bill and how they can help.
Please take action this week (or as soon as possible). As we learned from last year, personal contact with our elected officials is important.
Last year I posted articles on open records for adult adoptees and the Pennsylvania legislation action on HB 162 in the ADOPTION category in CAROLYN’S COMPOSITIONS (which preceded COMe). Below are links to those articles which offer relevant background information on HB 162:
- The PA Senate Hearing on HB 162: Open Records for Adult Adoptees
- Why Oppose Adult Adoptees Accessing Their Original Birth Records
- Pa. House Bill 162: Adult Adoptees Right to Access Original Birth Certificate
- Sign to Support Adoptee Rights to Their Original Birth Certificates
- Adoptees Right to Original Birth Certificate in Pennsylvania
Let your representatives know your opinion, pro or con, on opening original birth certificate records to adult adoptees.